Even though Google’s cloud-based Chrome OS has improvised lately to let people expand their use-case with Chromebook, many of them still consider it as a lacking device. Beyond question we can say this device has morphed into a profound computing machine with the support of Android and Linux Apps but then why is it still coming up short, you might wonder? Well, the reason is quite open-and-shut we can say. Moving to Chromebook is an exhausting task for Windows users as it lacks the Windows App support. Here you will know how to install and run Windows 10 apps on Chromebook
Well, there might be some rumors about Chromebook being compatible with Windows Apps but we are definitely not letting you bide your time. Yes, nothing is impossible with this ever-advancing technology.
First learn to set up Wine 5.0 on your Chromebook
Here I am assuming you have already set up Linux on your Chromebook. We will begin by setting up Wine 5.0 so you can allow to run Windows 10 Apps to work in a Chromebook Linux environment. Now, let’s just jump to the steps:
- 1. Head to the Linux Terminal and run the below written command (by doing this, you will add support for 32-bit apps).
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
- 2. In this step, we will add the repository key. For this, you have to enter the below-written commands one by one:
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
- 3. Now, execute below commands one after another. You will be able to install Nano editor with the first command and edit the source list with the second command:
sudo apt install nano
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
- 4. In this step, you have to copy the below-written text and then paste it to the Nano editor:
deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ buster main
deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/Debian_10 ./
- 5. Next up, press Ctrl + X and then “Y”. After that enter to save the file and exit the Nano editor
- 6. Now, to add the Ubuntu Keyserver, run the below written command:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys DFA175A75104960E
- 7. This is the final step! Now you have to run the below command in order to install the Wine 5.0. Then press “Y” to confirm the installation:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
How to Install Windows 10 Apps on your Chromebook
Let’s assume here we are installing IrfanView –a popular image viewer on Chrome OS. First, you have to download the 64-bit EXE file of any Window program and then move it to the Linux files section.
Next up, head to the Terminal and run the below command. After doing this, you will be able to install the application as you do in Windows programs:
So this is it! Now you can use the Windows Apps on your Chromebook. Even though this whole procedure seems a little dragging, trust me there is no other way as plain-dealing as this one.