Huawei overtakes Samsung in Global Smartphone Shipments Q2 2020

It is a known fact that Apple and Samsung are two dominators when it comes to smartphone companies. These two company since the longest time have been the Top 2 smartphone companies to have the highest number of shipments in the gobal market. Well, the trend has now been broken by a China-Based Smartphone Company, Huawei. Huawei in the 2nd quarter or the Q2 has not only taken over Apple’s position on the chart but also Samsung’s. That Samsung that has been on the top since the last decade, it is unbelievable and unimaginable that something of this sort would happen that too by Huawei.

Reason why it was unthinkable

There are many reasons why it is really surprising. The first being that Google does not support Huawei products. This means, not only Google, Google Chrome, Google Play Store etc. but the phone cannot run Android OS. This is nothing compared to the second reason. The second is that US government has set restrictions over Huawei. This affected the sales rate of Huawei outside china but it did not stop them from doing the unthinkable.

Huawei overtakes Samsung

Talking about the figures, Huawei’s overseas shipment in Q2 fell 27%. But it dominated its domestic market, boosting its Chinese shipments by 8% in Q2. Now it sells over 70% of its smartphones in mainland China and the other 30% in the rest of the world.

Reason for Huawei’s dominance 

China has emerged strongest from the COVID-19 pandemic, with factories reopened, economic development continuing and tight controls on new outbreaks. The reason Huawei got the first spot is somewhere related to the pandemic. A senior analyst at Canalys Ben Stanton, in this regard said,

“If it weren’t for COVID-19, it wouldn’t have happened. Huawei has taken full advantage of the Chinese economic recovery to reignite its smartphone business.” 

Ben Stanton, Senior Analyst, Canalys

Although this is the first quarter in 9 years when the reign of Apple and Samsung has been over-taken by a third company. This does not mean Huawei will hold onto the top spot for long. We must agree that since China was the first amongst the other countries to re-emerge from the pandemic, this gave them and their companies a boost. This is the reason although the entire world is going through a tough time, under the hood, Huawei has taken place of Samsung as the company to make the Highest Global Market Shipments.

Avatar

Tech Blogger

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
Tech Aedgar
Logo
Register New Account
Reset Password